Ovarian cancer is the fourth most common cause of death that is found in women. Approximately 1 in every 70 females will develop ovarian cancer. The recent research says that ovarian cancer normally starts at the tail end of the fallopian tube and then spreads to the ovaries.
However, the reasons for ovarian cancer vary from one woman to another. Early hysterectomy and tubal ligation are two of the common ways to evade ovarian cancer. Sometimes, the involvement of male hormones may also become a reason for ovarian cancer.
Causes of ovarian cancer
There are many reasons that we may take for normal and simply ignore. The following are some of the reasons for ovarian cancer:
- Genetics/ Hereditary ovarian cancer- BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation-they may have associated breast cancer also
- Use of coffee, tobacco, alcohol and dietary fat.
- Talc, asbestos exposure.
- Age- Most common above 45 years of age.
- Use of oral contraceptive pills.
- Repeated pregnancies.
- Tubal ligations.
- Hysterectomy with bilateral salpingectomy ( removal of tubes).
- Abdominal distensions and vague discomfort.
- Features of dyspepsia.
- Loss of appetite and sense of bloating after meals.
- Loss of weight.
Detections of ovarian cancer
- Tumour Markers– CA 125, CA-19-A, AFP, BhGC.
- Ultrasound of abdomen and pelvis.
- CT scan
- FNAC of the ascitic fluid.
- Genetic testing for high-risk groups (family history)
- Surgery followed by chemotherapy depending on the stage of the disease.
- Early stages, survival chance is 80 %
We hope that you have understood more about ovarian cancer, its complications, and its remedies better. We are also open to your feedback, recommendations and suggestions as comments in relation to this topic. Please do comment your views and doubts on the topic. Indiana Hospital and Heart Institute are one of the best hospitals in Mangalore. We always provide best treatments etc.