Neonatology refers to the care of New born babies (less than one month of age), who are very sick due to premature , low birth weight, birth defects, heart trouble, lung problems or other life threatening conditions. This means that our NICU is equipped to care for the tiniest and most critically ill babies, offering the greatest range of neonatal services and support. The department has well equipped Neonatal intensive care unit, managed by qualified nurses, under the supervision of highly qualified consultant, Neonatologist and Pediatric Surgeons. The Department has good Pediatric medical and surgical intensive care units.
- Level 3 NICU – 20 bedded equipped with warmers , incubators , CPAP , Conventional ventilator and High freqency ventilator. Caring for extreme premature ( < 1kg ) neonates ,comprehensive care for all sick newborns , Post-op care for neonatal surgical and cardiac intervention.
- OPD service- General paediatrics and Neonatal population.
- Speciality backup with Senior experienced Consultants– Paediatric surgery , Orthopaedic, Paediatric Cardiology , Cardio-thoracic surgery Nephrology, Neurology ,Neurosurgery, Ophthalmology, ENT ,Endocrinology,Child psychiatry.
- Provision for – Bedside Echo , EEG , Portable X-ray, Neurosonogram, CT , Dialysis available.
- Neuro developement follow-up clinic and Physiotherapy department.
- NICU highlights
- Comprehensive Extreme low birth weight care ( ELBW care)
ELBW babies are those born premature before 7months ( 27-30 wks) with birth weight less than 1kg ( 500gms-1000gms ).They are tiny ,tender requiring round the clock very gentle care from a team of trained NICU staff and experienced Neonatologist for almost 1to 2month till they attain atleast 1.5kg .During their stay in NICU they require multisystem support and monitoring for example -incubator care, respiratory support with either CPAP or ventilator , Parentral nutrition support through central line because they cannot be fed immediately and they tend to loose weight till feeds are established. Their immunity is very low so they succcumb to infection very early, so they need to be cared with high level of aseptic precaution and gentleness with trained NICU staff.
- They end up in complication of prematurity like RDS, apnea , sepsis ,PDA, IVH , NEC , ROP which needs timely diagnosis and appropriate mangement.This need 24hrs monitoring supervised by specialist , lab back up , bedside Echo , portable x-ray, neurosonogram.They require ROP screen to prevent blindeness and may require laser treatment. After graduating from NICU theay require neurodevelopemental follow up and interventions to prevent morbities.The dedicated nursing staff at NICU and specialists at Indiana Hospital are available 24×7 to give comprehensive care for all the neonates under their care.
We have to our credit saving quadruplets and triplets born ELBW with average weight of 600gms.
- Few neonates are born with congenital anomalies of organs for example diaphragmatic hernia , anal atresia , congenital megacolon, Tracheoesophageal fistula , but if they are diagnosed and treated at right time by experienced surgeons in the pediatric surgical field and supported by good NICU care the outcome is very good and they have normal life expectancy. Our senior Pediatric surgeon Dr.Ganesh Pai.K has immense experience with good results with neonatal surgeries. The few cardiac and cardio-thoracic intervention in neonatal period are life saving like PDA ligation ,BT shunt , Atrial septostomy , aortic ballon dilatation for Coarctation of aorta. These life saving measures are done by cardiac team.These neonates in their pre and post operative period do require NICU care and various system support which is well accomplished by Indiana NICU staff and specialists.